You Deserve Responsive, Skilled Representation

Do I Need To Get A Lawyer For My Divorce?

When you have reached the decision to divorce your spouse, it may seem to go smoothly at first. But as property owners with land, buildings or business partners, it may be too difficult to navigate your divorce on your own when it comes to fair and equitable division of these types of assets. Divorce with a business involved is a complex matter.

If you are self-employed or have retirement accounts, receive a trust income, annuities, pension payments or Social Security income, the fair division of your property, assets and debts may require the help of an experienced divorce lawyer. It is critical to have accurate property valuations, especially if you and your spouse are not in agreement about your property division.

At my firm, the Law Office of Cornelius Bostick, I have 20 years of experience helping my clients effectively resolve their divorce issues. I provide advocacy for the full spectrum of divorce-related matters, including:

  • Property valuations
  • Fairly dividing holdings of multiple properties
  • Splitting debt
  • Alimony payments
  • Domestic violence protective orders
  • Child custody and parenting plans
  • Visitation with your child
  • Guidelines for child support

Call my firm for a free consultation with an experienced family law attorney at 901-441-9959.

Fair And Equitable Division Of Your Marital Debt

Dividing marital debt can be confusing. While all debts incurred during your marriage are considered marital debt, there are other factors to look at when dividing the debt in your divorce. If you and your spouse do not agree on how you will split your debts, the court may consider the reason for the debt, which spouse benefited from the debt, and who will be best able to repay the debt when the divorce is final.

What About Alimony?

In Tennessee, the court governs whether spousal support, also known as alimony, is granted. The court determines how long alimony will be awarded and how much will be granted. The judge controls all modifications such as a decrease, increase or extension of the award period. The court will generally terminate alimony if the party receiving support lives with a third person, such as an adult child, nonrelative, a parent or a roommate.

Contact Me To Get Started Today

Email or call the Law Office of Cornelius Bostick in Memphis at 901-441-9959 for a free consultation to discuss your divorce. I will help you with your marital dissolution agreement, property division and proposed permanent parenting plan. If your divorce becomes contentious, I will file the necessary motions for discovery, prepare for mediation and pretrial. My goal is to help you reach a satisfactory settlement; however, I will go to trial when necessary.